The Palazzo Pastorio
The Pastorio palace was bought at the end of the 15th century by Bartolomeo Pastorio, a nobleman of Paduan origin, who settled in Castiglione delle Stiviere around 1440-1450. Due to a dispute between cousins, in 1750 – 60 the building was divided into two parts, both of which were enlarged. The left?part of the palace – the present Palazzo Bondoni Pastorio - underwent a complex refurbishment, which gave it the form it still has today. Between 1760 and 1765 Giovan Giacomo Pastorio (IV) created a second floor at the front of the building and realized a façade of balanced proportions, the two main entrances faced with ashlar work in the shape of marble diamonds, the windows at the “piano nobile” topped with classical tympanums, the second floor ornate with lighter frames and volutes. In accordance with the Lombard aristocracy’s taste of this period, Giovan Giacomo Pastorio wanted for his house that elegant and light late-baroque style that took the name of “barocchetto lombardo”.
Francesco, the eldest son of Giovan Giacomo, and then his children, further beautified the palace. The period between about 1800 and 1824 saw the decoration of the “Sala dei Paesaggi”, the “Landscapes Room” on the ground floor, realized, where the ceiling is ornate with monochrome frescos depicting symbols of poetry, music and theater, while many small panels include representations of Pastorio domains, together with landscapes of the “Alto mantovano” (the territory around Castiglione), and classical ruins. A recognizable image of the palace itself is painted in the panel over the entrance door of the room. At the “piano nobile” the three rooms at the front are characterized by ornamented ceilings: the central one has a coffer ceiling with floral patterns, the one to the left as one enters is decorated with pictures of the sky and architectural features, while in the one to the right coats of arms of the families who married into the Pastorio family are included in the panels. The big ballroom, also used as a theater is located on the same floor.
In the entrance hall of the palace there is a marble
statue of Prince Francesco Gonzaga. The prince is dressed as a Roman emperor,
with the golden fleece necklace and a laurel leaf crown. The statue was created
between 1610 and 1617 by Giovanni Antonio Carra, a
sculptor coming from